"Diabetic Artist Revisits Roe v. Wade" by Zoe Darling

Although the human body and its complex systems – with their strengths and weaknesses – have always been central to my work, the unrelenting, daily regime of Juvenile Diabetes currently influences much of what and how I create. Recent pieces have been constructed from diabetic paraphernalia that this disease forces me to use, then asks me to throw away. To translate accumulation into a language that communicates a specific duration of time, I sort and organize my diabetic garbage into visual systems. In My Jewels: 120 x 12 the 120 glucose test strips that I used each month add up to a year of time spent. Personal medical data is used to draw attention to the repetitious, ritualistic narratives that hold everyone’s daily life together.

In little love book (gold & green) an ode to roe I draw attention to a different kind of time spent – the time-consuming, manual labor of typing. For this piece I re-transcribe the text of the historic decision of Roe v. Wade, a case decided before my birth, which in my lifetime may be overturned by new Supreme Court appointees. The material for this three-volume accordion includes gold voided personal checks whose pages spill out of green birth control dispensing clamshells. I use an old Royal, on its last legs, to type the text. Banging on this aged machine is nothing like the soft fingertip touches I give my new little laptop. Typing is hard work. And as I work through this piece, I see old dusty New York lofts, with rows and rows of young women – pounding out documents and letters for important men. It made me think of all that has been accomplished to advance women’s rights in the decades before my birth and how a small group of white males – sitting in small safe rooms – are working now to rescind reproductive rights of women. This project is a work in progress. 

Typing Roe v. Wade includes images from a video of me typing little love book (gold & green) an ode to roe. Using at times humorous, at times uncomfortably personal text, I explore the contradictions that exist between the woman who was known as Jane Roe and the Norma McCorvey of today. I also use the extreme differences discovered, to reveal and try to make sense of recent life altering choices I’ve made, with the help of my alter ego, Darling Zoe.







No comments: